- OLB Ernie Sims, DET - left Sunday with a hamstring injury
and was replaced by rookie DeAndre Levy.
- OLB Aaron Kampman, GB - suffered a concussion on Sunday and
his status is in question this week.
- ILB Eric
Barton, CLE - his season is over with a bulging disc in
- OLB Thomas Davis, CAR - his season is over with torn right
ACL. Landon Johnson takes over the weak side for the Panthers.
- ILB Lawrence Timmons, PIT - was unable to overcome an ankle
injury over the bye week and sat out Monday night. Keyaron Fox
started in his place and led the team with 9 tackles (8 solo).
- ILB Channing
Crowder, MIA - was inactive Sunday with a shoulder injury.
Tobor started in his place.
- OLB Akeem Jordan, PHI - suffered a knee injury on SNF and
his status is uncertain this week. Rookie Moise Fokou, who replaced
Chris Gocong last week, could get the start for Jordan, if Gocong
is ready to return, as expected.
- OLB David Thornton, TEN - was inactive Sunday with a hip
injury. Rookie Gerald McRath got his first career start in his
- OLB Tyjuan Hagler, IND - placed on IR with a ruptured biceps;
Philip Wheeler gets the first team reps in his place.
- S Bob
Sanders, IND - after sitting out most of the season recovering
from a knee injury, Sanders is done for the year after tearing
his left biceps in his second game of the year. Melvin
Bulitt becomes a high-upside pick-up for the rest of the
- CB Marlin
Jackson, IND - tore his left ACL at practice last week and
is done for the season; he tore his right ACL last year. With
Hayden also out indefinitely, rookies Jerraud
Powers and Jacob
Lacey will continue to start together.
- S Chris Horton, WAS - out 4-6 weeks, and possibly for the
year, with a significant toe injury. Horton has struggled in
his sophomore season and now Reed Doughty locks up the uncontested
starting SS role for the Redskins.
- S Ryan Clark, PIT - as expected, Clark was inactive for MNF
in Denver due to concerns with the thin air related to his sickle-cell
trait and previous complications playing there. Tyrone Carter
was quite effective in his place, grabbing 2 picks and returning
one for six, but Clark should return to his starting role this
- CB Fabian Washington, BAL - missed most of the game Sunday
with a leg injury. Rookie Lardarius Webb played well in his
- With Minnesota DE Jared Allen on a bye, Denver OLB tweener Elvis Dumervil moved in to a tie with him with a half-sack on MNF. Both players have 10.5 sacks on the season. Allen has 7.5 sacks against the Packers this year in two games and 3 sacks in his other six games. Indianapolis DE Dwight Freeney kept pace with 1.5 sacks in their win over Houston. He is one sack behind the lead and now has a sack in nine consecutive regular season games, a new team record.
- In Seattle, David Hawthorne continues to amaze. The former
undrafted free agent continues to produce excellent numbers
in place of Lofa Tatupu (IR) in the middle of the Seahawks defense.
He posted 9 tackles (8 solo) and grabbed 2 picks. In his three
starts this season, he has filled up the box score with 33 tackles
(28 solo), 2 sacks, 3 picks and a forced fumble.
- After posting his first 2 sacks of the season in the previous
game, San Diego OLB Shawne Merriman did it again on Sunday and
quickly now has 4 on the season. He has value again in leagues
that value sacks heavily. With ILB Tim Dobbins out for two weeks
and ILB Kevin Burnett missing another game, Brandon Siler got
a start inside. Dobbins is expected to be out this week, as
well, but Burnett should be back.
- With Eric
Barton joining D'Qwell
Jackson on the IR for Cleveland, rookie David
Veikune joins rookie Kaluka
Maiava to form the inside tandem for the Browns.
- Between an opening day suspension and injuries, it has been
a rough start to his career with the Giants for Michael Boley,
but he was back in the starting lineup at WLB on Sunday, posting
7 solo tackles and a pass defensed. He is an appealing addition
from the waiver wire if you are hurting at linebacker.
- After a slow start in his first couple games, rookie tweener
Brian Orakpo had his first multi-sack game on Sunday. He has
at least a half-sack in 5 of the last 6 weeks, giving him 5.5
on the season.
- While he was abused in pass coverage by Peyton Manning and
Dallas Clark, it helped Houston rookie OLB Brian
Cushing pad his stats. He led the team with a career-high
12 tackles (10 solo), his third double-digit tackle game of
the season. He is second in the league with 78 tackles on the
season, one more than San Francisco ILB Patrick
- Atlanta MLB Curtis Lofton leads the NFL with 84 tackles on
- Washington CB DeAngelo
Hall was the epicenter of an altercation with his old team
after SS LaRon
Landry leveled a late hit on QB Matt Ryan on the Atlanta
sideline. Hall, Landry, ATL reserve LB Tony
Gilbert, and ATL HC Mike Smith could all be facing disciplinary
action from the skirmish.
- Despite some nice fantasy performances recently, inconsistency
and struggling in pass coverage cost C.C. Brown the starting
safety job with the Giants. Aaron Rouse, who Green Bay released
earlier this year over similar concerns, replaced him and isn't
much of an upgrade, but should also be a decent fantasy performer.
- Denver signed free agent veteran Ty Law last week and he
dressed Monday night seeing work in certain pass packages. He
is a role player at this point in his career and seems unlikely
to replace Andre Goodman as a starter.
Milk Carton Player of the Week
In putting an injury-plagued 2008 season behind him and departing
from one of the worst teams in the league, DE tweener Derrick
Burgess looked like a strong contender to be the latest successful
reclamation project by the Patriots. Instead, he has struggled
to find a role in their 3-4 and failed to establish himself as
a playmaker. He has just 2 sacks on the season with sporadic playing
time, mostly in pass packages.