Backups excelling. Player ejections. Penalties galore. Too many
injuries to mention. It was quite a week I needed an extra day just
to take it all in.
Groin Shot of the Week Candidates
Tatum Bell (127 RuYd, 2 TD)
– And the RB carousel in Denver goes on, and on, and on.
Please no one send me an email this week asking if they should
start Bell, or trade for Bell, or trade Bell away, or drop Anderson
or even change their team name from Anderson’s Aces to Bell’s
Bullet Train. I don’t know. No one knows. Anyone who tells
you they know what to expect from the Broncos running game is
not being honest with themselves. And if you inexplicably played
against Bell this past week, pretty much all you can do is curse.
Terry Glenn (7-118 ReYd, 2 TD)
– The last 2 weeks the Eagles have sleepwalked through the
early part of the ball game. And this week Terry Glenn took advantage
big time scoring twice before most people found their way back
to the couch from the kitchen with their early to late game snack.
Snack of choice is turkey sandwich and cool ranch Doritos for
me. Anyway, Glenn is turning into the steal of the draft (or waivers).
Or maybe that is Drew Bledsoe, steal of the draft (or waivers).
I can’t decide.
Packers Defense (4 sacks, 5 turnovers,
2 TD and 3 points allowed) – Who the heck played
these guys this week? In the prior 4 games they’ve done
next to nothing with 6 sacks, 2 turnovers, an average of 23 points
allowed and looked absolutely dismal. Apparently “road weary”
is a bit of an understatement for the Saints if they can make
these guys look like what the Ravens were supposed to look like
this year. And hey, I’ve been writing off the Packers since
week 1, but given the state of the NFC North, the 1-4 Packers
are right in the hunt for the division crown.
Comments From The Couch
- Middle of last week upon receiving my opponent's lineup via
email I think to myself: "Why the flip is someone starting Najeh
Davenport against me?" Ah, I see. And playing the Saints no
less. Nice timing.
- For those of you whether suffering from the loss of Deuce
McAllister or not, and wondering, "Do I pick up Antowain Smith,
Aaron Stecker or Jesse Chatman off waivers?" Um... have you
seen the Saints play this year?
- I don't know much about Kevin Jones' personality, but pretty
ballsy for the second year player who hasn't done much this
year to perform the retro Deion Sanders end zone dance followed
up by the Ray Lewis wing flap intro after his second TD. And
he certainly proved one way to not only beat but humiliate the
Ravens. Antagonize the heck out of them.
- My best, last-minute start-bench move of the week: replace
Andre Johnson with Antonio Bryant.
- My worst, last-minute start-bench non-move of the week: in
another league do not replace Brandon Lloyd with Antonio Bryant.
- Did someone spike the Gatorade this week? There were more
penalties and post-whistle pushing and shoving than I can remember
in a long time. The Dolphins set a team record for penalties.
A pair of Ravens got ejected and were 1 off the NFL record for
penalties. Ronde Barber slugged a referee, but amazingly did
not get ejected. If there is this much pent-up frustration in
week 5 we may not make it to week 17.
- That 45 yard catch, hurdle, plough through people and run
for a TD by Daniel Graham was a thing of beauty.
- Matt Schaub to Justin Griffith had to be the least fantasy
useful TD of the week.
- Heading into the week, 1-3 Tennessee vs. 0-3 Houston looked
to be one of the more forgetful games on the schedule. Apparently
Andre Johnson forgot there was a game on too. In fact, has someone
woken up A.J. that the season is underway?
- First person who sends me proof they drafted Andre Johnson,
Michael Clayton and Charles Rogers as their top 3 receivers
gets a prize. But then you open yourself up to some public humiliation
too. Your choice.
- Remember the NFL commercial where Peyton Manning held up
a small fantasy football trophy and told us, "I play for this"?
That was last year. With 1 TD to show against the 49ers, to
Troy Walters of all people, I think Peyton has forgotten us.
- Vinny! Vinny! Vinny! Anyone who started Curtis Martin this
week... and lost... that had to feel like a real waste.
- Watching the Redskins lose out on a safety after a Jake Plummer
fumble into the end zone is reversed, I still don't understand
the justification for the tuck rule. If you drop the ball, then
it's a fumble. How hard is that?
- The Eagles decided to kick into bye week mode a week early.
It would have been nice if we had some hint of that prior to
- Joe Jurevicius looks like a stud receiver catching 9-137
and 1 TD. And this with D.J. Hackett starting opposite him.
Just how bad is the Rams secondary? You'd think such a pass
heavy team on offense over the years would consider the importance
of pass defense a little more highly.
- Check out our forums for all the latest injury updates. If
I try to rehash it all here this article will be another 3 pages.
- So the Dolphins committed 5 turnovers and set a team record
for penalties, and the Bills won by 6 points? Ah, screw it.
A win over the 'Phins is great no matter how ugly. Time to usher
in the Kelly Holcomb era!
- My apologies for being a day late this week. Canadian Thanksgiving
was partly to blame (mmm... turkey...) but for the most part,
if there are any Dads out there who are able to successfully
juggle a pair of kids under 3 and still effectively manage their
fantasy football teams, I could use some tips right about now.
And The Winner Is…
Terry Glenn owners were probably at the very least starting him
by now. Tatum Bell owners... not so much. Packers Defense owners?
I’m guessing they are waiver material in 95% of leagues
less than 16 teams, must hold 2 team defenses. Let’s give
it to Glenn, one of those forever underappreciated receivers as
opposed to Bell who was obviously extremely overvalued on draft
day and still has a long way to go to justify his draft position
for a lot of us.